Thursday, November 1, 2007


So here we are, Halloween is done. Tomorrow I'll throw away the pumpkins, pack up my ghosts and other decorations, not to mention the costumes... And then, I'll begin to really enjoy the fall!

Don't get me wrong... I loved the excitement. Halloween has got to be my favorite holiday... Well, I shouldn't say that. Any excuse to have fun, decorate, take pictures, and eat good food is my favorite. Especially when I get to see my kids so happy! They loved the day. I had to deal with some attitude and some added last-minute stresses (Grandpa called and needed some swing set models for an impromptu photo shoot...). They loved decorating cupcakes, we even squeezed in some nail painting to match their costumes! They thought they brought home so much candy, their bags were so heavy, to them... I loved seeing all of the primary kids come by. I didn't get many, but I loved seeing the ones I got to. Merrill said, "Of course you didn't see many, their parents wouldn't have them come down to the hood to trick-or-treat." He thinks we live in the hood...

Merrill was sad when the girls were both asleep in bed, and he realized the trick-or-treaters were all done for the night. He blew out the candles in our pumpkins, unplugged the ghosts. I could see the sadness in his face and I knew what he was going to say, "It's really all over!". He might really not like this time, he's sad that summer is really over, that all of the fun of Halloween is over, and "it's all downhill from here". He gets even more depressed once all of the gifts are opened Christmas morning. He loves having something to look forward to...

He'll really dislike that I'll probably have some Christmas music playing every now and then from here on out. I really love this time of the year! It's so cozy, with the change of the weather, burning scented candles, cooking something hearty all day long on the stove... I love it! I would prolong the season if I could. I feel sad to take down the Christmas tree, I love not having to deal with all of those pesky artificial pine needles, but when it comes down, I miss the whole spirit and atmosphere the season brings.

So tomorrow, November 1st... bring it on! I am ready for a change of season!

No comments: