Friday, December 7, 2007

I feel like I have totally taken for granted all of the little things that my mom has taught me. I have been enjoying a quiet evening crocheting, how many people do that anymore? Shhh, though, it's one of Lynn's Christmas gifts, she hasn't caught on yet. I guess I am making something often enough that she just assumes it's for someone else.
Other "little" things that my mom has taught me:
How to bake. I got a phone call from my sister-in-law who had a baking question. "How do you make sour milk? Do you buy it?" I knew how to sour milk. It's just one of those things that I though everyone knew. Other little tricks about baking come to mind that my mom taught me that I think everyone just knows. Maybe they don't.
Everyday cleaning. How to clean. What to clean, what to clean what with. How often we clean. There are some people who just don't know and I have to admit that I am a little shocked.
I think my mom has taught me most by her example. When I am ready to explode with kids who are being psycho, I think, "What would mom do?" Then I think of how she might react to a situation or how she might say something. My first instinct is to do what my dad would do. He's not a bad guy, just a little short on patience and he kind of expects small children to automatically be logical thinkers. (See why I tell myself to thnk like mom?)
There's so many more things, they just come to me during the day, and I smile because I have the greatest mom ever!

No comments: