Sunday, May 11, 2008

Whoopie Pies...

Here's a Favorite...
Maybe I should keep it "Top Secret", but the world deserves to know...Cake part:
1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs YOLKS (don't toss the whites!)
1 cup soured milk (1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice)
1 cup HOT water + 2 teaspoons baking soda (soda dissolved in water)
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
1 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream the shortening and sugar. Add the yolks one at a time, and mix until well incorporated. Add the milk mixture, cocoa, and flour. Add the soda/water mixture while mixing. Drop by teaspoonfuls (I like to use my Pampered Chef cookie dough scoop) onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.

Creme:
2 egg WHITES (see, they come into play...)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups shortening
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons milk
dash of salt
Powdered Sugar

Cream all together and add the powdered sugar until the creme reaches a thick, but spreadable, consistency. (I usually use about a pound, sometimes more...)
Match up your cooled cookie halves, and spread creme on one side, place its mate on the other (kinda like an Oreo... but better!). Finish for all! I love to eat more than one at a time well chilled with milk and even stash some in the freezer for those unforgettable PMS days... they make a great breakfast treat too :).
Enjoy!

2 comments:

BookwormMom said...

ThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYouThankYou!!!!!

Maybe I'll try to make some in the morning...to take to work...and I'm definitely stashing some in my freezer for bad days!!!!

Jocelyn said...

Thank you sooooo much for linking up these fabulous treats! I heart whoopie pies too. Have a great day!